Upcoming Events for the ANNEX –
Co-Presented by the Castine Arts Association
• Artists-in-Residence have arrived!
• August 6-25 Kelly Carmody (Boston) and Viktor Butko (Russia) – They will be painting around town for the first week and a half and then moving into the studio space at the ANNEX. Keep an eye out for them. Both Kelly and Viktor will do a painting demonstration.
• Thursday, August 17, 5-7, Showing for Artists-in-Residence, Ben Skinner and Genevieve Dionne at the ANNEX – come see the ephemoral Castine-inspired installation they’ve been making while in residence.
• Saturday, August 19, 9-12PM, Kelly Carmody Painting Demonstration. Kelly will work through painting a still-life while answering questions from the audience, from 9:00 – 12:00. The public is free to stay the whole time or come and go as necessary. Offered as part of the Artist-in-Residence Program at the ANNEX happening at 8 Water Street, Castine, Maine in the studio. Free and open to the public. Please come and enjoy the insights of a truly gifted and thoughtful artist.
• Tuesday, August 22, 5-7PM Kelly Carmody and Viktor Butko Residency Exhibition Reception. Show will be up until Friday August 25.
• Thursday, August 31, 5-7: Opening Reception for Charleen Wiseman, Quilts! @ the ANNEX
For more information call or email firstname.lastname@example.org • 213-839-0851, or drop into Gallery B, 5 Main Street, Castine
The ANNEX is located at 8 Water Street, Castine, ME 04421
The felted sculptures are primarily of endangered and threatened animals throughout Maine and the world. Half of the proceeds from sales will go to the World Wildlife Fund and the Climate Change Institute.
@Gallery B, 5 Main Street, Castine
Annex Feature Exhibition: The work of Thomas Barrett and Leni Mancuso, and their son, Kedron Barrett
•Opening reception: Tuesday, August 1, 5-7
•Artist Talk: August 5, 7PM
•August 1 – 7
These longtime Castine residents were astonishingly gifted, avant-garde, and prolific. It is our honor to show their work at Gallery B and the ANNEX. Tom and Leni met in New York in the 1940s while studying art at the Brooklyn Museum School. They came up in the art world in New York City when it was the nexus of art innovation and they worked side-by-side with many of the well-known artists of the Abstract Expressionism movement. Both of their bodies of work reveal a deep thoughtfulness, a response to the different eras they lived in, and explorations of shifting styles and movements. They started summering in Maine in the 1960s, and much like Marsden Hartley and Fairfield Porter before them, they brought worldly expressive and stylistic innovations to bear on representing the Maine landscape and culture that became its own style. Kedron Barret, their son, was raised immersed in art and became a fabulous painter and print-maker himself. He lives in Berlin, Germany and visits Castine 3 or 4 times a year. Please join us to hear him talk about the lives and work of his parents, Leni and Tom and his own work.
For more information visit: www.gallerybgallery.com
Dan Graziano will be one of twenty-five artists included in Collecting Castine 2017, a special one-night exhibit and sale of fine art on Monday, August 7, from 5 – 7:30 p.m. at The Wilson Museum’s Hutchins Education Center. This special art exhibition will feature an outstanding collection of recent original artwork created by living artists either from Castine or with a long association to Castine. All artwork will be available for purchase with sales commissions used to fund the Wilson Museum’s growing art collection. The Wilson Museum is located at 120 Perkins Street in Castine, Maine. For more information on this event, visit The Wilson Museum web site at http://www.wilsonmuseum.org
Please Join Us to Celebrate – Outtakes From a Memoir – a Group Exhibition of Artworks Inspired by (or relating to) Deborah Joy Corey’s newly Released Memoir, Settling Twice.
Friday, June 16, 5-7PM
Exhibition Runs June 17 – 29, Wed. – Sun., 11:00-5:00
At the ANNEX, 8 Water Street, Castine, Maine
The Author and many of the artists will be present. Refreshments and books will be available. The artists in this exhibit are all connected with Deborah Joy Corey. When asked if they would read excerpts of her upcoming memoir, Settling Twice, and respond to it visually in their own medium – these artists enthusiastically answered the call. The result is a joyful and cacophonous visual representation in different mediums and styles to moments, themes, or sections of the book. Each artist experienced the writing in a different way and we are excited to see the work all together, a frolicking visual representation of a single text which resonated for everyone who read it.
This cross-disciplinary dialogue between art and literature by local artists and writers feels like an accurate reflection of a community that is filled to the brim with gifted cultural producers, most of whom show an active enthusiasm and curiosity for the world around them and the work of their peers. Outtakes from a Memoir aims to highlight the significant relationship between the arts and highlight the great talents of our very own creators.
Please Join us on Friday, May 26th, 5-7 PM (or anytime this summer) to Celebrate
Gallery B. 9th Season Opening and Launch of Our new Endeavor: The Annex, an Arts Center and Residency Program
At GALLERY B. the season-starter group show is opening on Friday, May 26, 5-7 PM. The ANNEX will be open for sneak peaks of the space and the work of Shelley Mansel
• Onward! at Gallery B. is a group show featuring new work by both a fresh crop of artists and gallery perennials: Tom Barrett, Amy Bernhardt, Jenny Brillhart, Hannah Bureau, Louise Bourne, Temple Blackwood, Kelly Carmody, Heidi Daub, Clark Fitz-Gerald, Melissa Kuntz, Leni Mancuso, Shelley Mansel, Lyn Mayewski, Bill Mayher, Basha Olsen, Julia Parish, Marcia Stremlau, Kreg McCune, Kara Taylor, Emily Schaeffer, Nisa Smiley, Goody-B. Wiseman, Anna Woolf & Neale Lasalle, and a few more.
A View of the ANNEX at 8 Water Street last year when we hung it with Shelley Mansel’s Paintings.
And… at The ANNEX at 8 Water Street: Gallery B. is inaugurating a second space, The Annex, and an artist-in-residence program. The Annex will be a center for a broad range of events and activities—exhibitions, workshops, panel discussions, screenings, and community events—related to the work of the resident artists as well as local artists.
The first event at The Annex will be an open studio featuring artist-in-residence Shelley Mansel of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Saturday and Sunday, May 27 and 28, 12-4 pm – drop in and say hi!
“The aims of The Annex are twofold,” said Goody-B. Wiseman, director of The Annex and owner of Gallery B. “We want to bring excellent art, diverse voices, innovative practices, and cultural richness to our region and to support the production of new work by artists while they are in interdisciplinary dialog with the wealth of historical, cultural, and natural assets of our area.”
SAVE THE DATE!
Next up at the ANNEX is
Settling Twice: an Exhibition of Art inspired by the new book of essays by Deborah Joy Corey
Opening Reception June 16th, 5-8PM
Settling Twice, June 16 – June 29, a group show inspired by Deborah Joy Corey’s new book of essays and featuring work by Josh and Susan Adam, Berke Billings, Hannah Bureau, Bill Irvine, Gail Page, Rob Shetterly, Sherry Streeter, Phoebe and Georgia Zildjian, Mattina Blue, Patricia Maclain, Diane Lindscot, John and Julie Gardner, Goody-B. Wiseman, and Charleen Wiseman.
This year, Dan Graziano will be teaching four workshops in the New England area. He is excited to be teaming with two arts organizations for the first time – River Tree Arts in Kennebunk, Maine and the Wallkill River School of Art in New York. Also, he will again be doing two workshops at his studio in Castine, Maine. For more information and downloadable registration forms, visit his web site at www.dangrazianofineart.com
5/6/2017 ONE-DAY PAINTING WORKSHOP – RIVER TREE ARTS, KENNEBUNK, ME
6/16-18/2017 THREE-DAY PLEIN AIR WORKSHOP – WALLKILL RIVER SCHOOL OF ART, MONTGOMERY, NY
8/12/2017 ONE-DAY PAINTING WORKSHOP – CASTINE, ME
8/18-20/2017 THREE-DAY PLEIN AIR WORKSHOP – CASTINE, ME